Saturday, October 5, 2013

Slow Down Savvy Sistah. Slow Down.

Three things happened to me yesterday.


First, I pulled 4 cards that basically told me to put my plans on hold, rethink what I'm doing and stay low. Fine. Not my favourite answer considering I asked Spirit if I was going in the right direction with my business idea and planning of the future. Oh ya, ye ol' Hermit dropped out of my hand, too. Spirit couldn't have been anymore clear.

Says The Hermit ~ Wait for the fog to clear, your path will be much clearer.



Then I volunteered on the #daytimeottawa show, to be graced with a 7 minute speaking engagement by the "Slow Coach" himself, Carl Honoré. His message:

"Solve Problems, Work Smarter and 

Live Better in a World Addicted to Speed."


How? By slowing down. His theory suggests that the more you slow down, the faster things will come together. Hmph.

Finally, that evening, there was a few things I could have and should have done. I decided, however, that I needed to find the beads for the #ministarlite's halloween costume... you guessed it... now!

One quick trip to Michael's another downtown to Sassy Beads, two and a half hours later and stuck in traffic... I have no beads. My hast led to a long evening of nothing getting done.

HonorĂ© suggests most people will come to terms with slowing down when a crisis happens in their life. Typically health related. Well, I'm physically fine... am sure I'll pass most if not all health checks. So that is not why Universe is so clearly telling to chill out. 

Actually, it is this move home that has me freaked out. I have spent the last 6 years whining and complaining about being in Ottawa, and that the best thing that could ever happen to me is moving home. Well, I'm coming home. Tell the world. And when you do, let the world know too, that I pissed 6 years away by freaking out in the fast lane. Instead of taking this opportunity to make and mold myself while I was in the comfort of my own time, I blew through everything and in the end, I have accomplished nothing.
the hermit
The Phantomwise Tarot - The Hermit

Herein lies the fundamental problem as to why I think we as a society are addicted to speed: it allows us to not have to think it through. If we allowed ourselves the time to think, we would be overwhelmed by the situations we've put ourselves in. We would then have to be accountable, accommodate, sacrifice, purge... and worst of all say no. No I don't have time for you today because... 

Imagine if you slowed down, and learned to say no I'm busy with this specific thing right now that has my complete attention. Maybe your inbox (soft and hard) would be empty and/or manageable by end of day. You might finish a book, from cover to cover. You might watch your children excel in one or two things instead of being kinda good at a lot of things, but not really being sure because you've missed so much of it running around. Imagine having time to bake a real cake on a Sunday morning, with no to-do-list hanging on your conscience?

Yah... me too... the thought of being in control stresses me out more than the thought of being completely out of control. 

I am in control of my addiction to speed. I'm always looking for my next hit. And I will do whatever it takes to make sure I've got one more thing that needs to get done.


One of the main principles behind being an IndigoSpirit is simplicity. At least now I know why learning to live a simple life is so damn hard. I haven't learned how to slow down.

Much Love,
Amanda

Talk to me!!
Do you need speed to succeed?
What is that one thing you could do, today, to slow it down just a notch?

No comments:

Post a Comment