Thursday, September 26, 2013

Riddick ~ A Movie Review

My first movie review and I couldn't be more excited than to write it about my boyfriend!!!

First of all, I'd like to give you the quick and neat of the relationship between me and Vin Diesel (herein after referred to as my boyfriend). My relationship/obsession started way back in the day when I decided to watch "Pitch Black", in the middle of the night, by myself, pregnant and in a very small hick town, a good 5 hours away from civilization (and yes, when you're in the small town of Hinton, AB... Edmonton is quite civilized ;)

It was love at first sight. And even though I've been following and cheering him on ever since...

SIDENOTE: (I even have a mii that looks like him, which drives my daughter crazy, "why do you always have to smash stuff when you play with your boyfriend mii?", in which I reply... grrrrr)

...I digress, Pitch Black is still my Vin Diesel go to. Which is why I am so completely over two moons with this installation of the story. I liked Chronicles of Riddick (I am partial to Thandie Newton, as she was once considered my doppleganger... ha ha), and Dame Judy can do no wrong. I could never quite put my finger on why I didn't love it like Pitch Black. Then I saw Riddick, and now I know why! Chronicles of Riddick was cluttered with too many characters and story lines.

A million TY's to whoever decided at the round table that this movie needed to go back to it's elements and be about the illusion and dark side of this complex man.

Dangerous. Dark. Vicious. Unforgiving. 

These are the qualities that make this story work. "Riddick" stuck to the basics and delivered: Abandoned planet. Bounty. Beasties that need to die. Perceived retribution. This formula with a focus on the dark one, and Riddick will continue to stand the test of time.  PLEASE DON'T EVER COMPLICATE THIS WITH A LOVE STORY.

Find Riddick. Get off the planet. Stay Alive. Simple, clean and exciting. One of the things I also enjoyed was the look and feel of the movie. I don't know if this was intentional, and/or if this is a personal opinion, but it kinda felt like a throw back to the late '90s early '00 sci-fi cinematography, which kind of kept it true to it's original appeal. Don't get me wrong the quality is well beyond the original, however, it didn't feel as clunky and CGI/Greenscreen infused as Chronicles of Riddick.

I've heard it said that Riddick is an extreme survivalist, displaced in the harshest of environments, abandoned by the living... driven to go home. Riddick is not a good person. In fact I'd venture to say he's a bit psychotic. What fascinates me, is my secret desire to see him win. That can only be accomplished by committed characterization, a deep understanding and empathy in what drives the ugly side of humanity, and a well written script. Bravo.

Surprise: Riddick is actually kind of funny.

Favourite Scene: When Santana gets his... in the face, lol

What the what?!?: Keri Hilson.

Yes Please! Naked profile of Riddick during sunset? Dang, I'll help him find his inner animal, whenever, however.

Supporting Role: I've always really really liked Jordi MollĂ , so this was tough... but I have to give it to Dave Bautista. He was great!

Next time: If you're going to include the nudity, can it actually have a purpose? It just seemed inappropriate and gross.

The only reason, and it pains me to do this... but the only reason this is getting 4 out 5 heart smacks is because I think the editing could have been a little cleaner, and yes I'm cringing as I write this. It was just a little choppy and jumpy... but I still loved it!

RIDDICK: XOXOX


Much Love,
Ms. Kay





No comments:

Post a Comment